Snort mailing list archives

Re: host-specificity in dynamic rules?

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 13:25:08 -0600

Glenn Forbes Fleming Larratt <glratt () is rice edu> writes:

1. Is there a way for an activate/dynamic rule pair to zero in on the
specific hosts detected by the activate rule? i.e., if I were to
write:

activate tcp !$HOME_NET any -> $HOME_NET 23 (flags:S+; activates:1; \
   msg:"Telnet SYN";)
dynamic TCP !$HOME_NET any -> $HOME_NET 23 (activated_by:1;
count:10;)

use tagging

alert tcp !$HOME_NET any -> $HOME_NET 23 (flags:S+; msg:"Telnet SYN";\
                                          tag: host, 10, seconds;)

to get the binary logs

2. More generally, is there further documentation available on
activate/dynamic pairs? Nothing in the FAQ, and the example in the
USAGE file is very generic.

It's original purpose was replaced with tags.   Tags will be fleshed
out more in the future ( 2.0 era )
--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>