Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re: IP short header

From: Fyodor <fygrave () tigerteam net>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 18:24:02 +0700

Peter Kahle <pkahle () pobox com> spoke:

Message: 7
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 15:55:15 -0800
From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
To: Render-Vue <sales () render-vue com>
Cc: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] IP short header

Well, the short answer that doesn't tell you much is that the IP
header is expected to be 20 bytes long.

What you're receiving is only 18 long, and it triggers a rule in
-- hmm.. I can't grep for 'short header' in *.rules -- what version of
snort did you say you were running, and what platform ;-) ?

 This looks suspiciously like a DEBUG printf in DecodeIPOnly (I'm
 looking in 1.8.1 source, I think):
 printf("ICMP Unreachable IP header length: %lu\n", (unsigned long)hlen);

 So it may not be in a rule at all.

It isn't the rule. normally ICMP packets should carry at least 64 bits
of original datagram (+ icmp header, + ip header), what probably is in
your case is that the datagram is truncated, therefore snort complains.
if you arent' interested in seeing that, patching the snort code is
pretty much the only way. Guess we should have made all those erries
turnable on/off by an option though.