Snort mailing list archives

Re: SHELLCODE x86 NOOP

From: Jeff Nathan <jeff () snort org>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 12:41:01 -0800

The snort rule in question looks for a series of 12 x86 NOOP
instructions (0x90) in a row.

It is possible that the alerts generated from port 80 are the result of
a gif file containing a series of 0x90 bytes within its color table.
This could trigger a false alarm.  I'm not familiar with jpg files but
they too may have a color table.

There are a number of other possibilities, this is just one explanation.

-Jeff

Basil Saragoza wrote:

I have quite a lot of them on my internal sensor, all coming from port 80, I
took a look at the payload and it doesn't explain much to me.....
Would it be O.K to say that those are false alarms generated from nrmal http
traffic?

--
http://jeff.wwti.com            (pgp key available)
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."