Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort sourcecode and licensing (was: need info)

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:02:59 -0500

Hmm, your English is a little rough, but I think I understand your questions (I do not understand what you mean by the term "misuse approach" in the context you used it in):

1) Snort is a rules based nids, but has an anomaly sensor plugin, called spade. These two work simultaneously, but independently when snort runs and spade is enabled. See snort.conf for details about how to enable spade, and more detail about how the spade engine works is available at www.silicondefense.com.

2) Snort is written in C. Download the tarball, unpack it and see for yourself.

3) Snort is GPL licensed, If you do not understand what that means, I strongly suggest reading up on it at www.fsf.org. In short, you can modify the source, but you must distribute your modified source code with any binaries, and maintain the same GPL license for the modified code. (ie: you cannot make proprietary modifications and distribute a binary executable alone.) However, that short description is only my own summary interpretation of the license, you will have to look at the license yourself to determine what exactly may be done if you do not wish to simply make some fixes and provide a patch back to the snort development team.

A full copy of the GPL license is included in the snort tarball as the file named COPYING.