Snort mailing list archives

Re: RE: Installing SNORT 1.8.3 on win2k server

From: Stuart Staniford <stuart () silicondefense com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 23:36:21 -0800

On Tuesday, March 12, 2002, at 03:28 PM, Martin Roesch wrote:

Should we discuss the cost of producing Snort in the first
place in man hours donated to the project versus your contribution? Nah,
it'd make that contribution look pretty paltry and profit motivated in
comparison. Foregoing the development costs in favor of a renewable-revenue
services model isn't exactly a new idea.

and

As you know, I run a company that is directly competitive with yours and yet I seem to be able to refrain from constantly engaging in crass marketing
tactics.

Marty:

Firstly, I'd like to say that I appreciate tremendously the years of volunteer effort you have put into Snort in the past. No-one would question the massive contribution you have made in starting and sustaining Snort, and the Snort community. You were public spirited in the extreme. We at Silicon Defense are deeply grateful for what you pioneered.

For a number of years now, we have been glad to help and support you and other members of the community by releasing free software to help use Snort, producing components for Snort, working on algorithmic improvements to make it faster, and helping users with their queries on the list. Our company has been built around Snort from when it was tiny, and it continues to be so today. In working with an Open Source product, we recognize our obligation to try to be of benefit to the community, and to contribute to it as best we can given the circumstances we find ourselves in. We intend to continue to offer help to the community in the same ways we have done in the past.

If members of the community think that our communications have seemed self-serving, as opposed to simply helping people, or explaining the free resources that we offer to the community, I apologize. I am distressed at the tone of this thread, and if we have contributed to that, I'm sorry also.

I share your sense that the snort-users list, snort.org, the snort CVS itself, etc should exist for the benefit of the Snort community as a whole, and not for the benefit of any particular company that might try to use them to gain "crass" business advantage. Since you, and we, and others, all now run for-profit companies that are trying to make a successful business out of the expertise we have each developed in Snort, this presents something of a challenge. While we compete in some ways, we need to co-operate for the benefit of the community in others and we need to remain civil with each other in the various public forums for the Snort community.

I've been getting some cries lately to start moderating the list
lately based on the volume of users who don't read the docs before posting (c.f. constant MySQL/ACID posts, etc) and now due to the on-going marketing campaign Silicon Defense seems to be using this list for. I don't want to
do it (because I like the list the way it is)

If indeed the snort community determines that snort-users needs moderation, can I suggest that we find someone impartial to do it? That would protect you from any suggestion that you might use the position of moderator to advance your own commercial agenda. People who don't know you well might wonder whether there was a conflict of interest between your role as President of Sourcefire (a private company seeking to make a lot of money from Snort) and as the moderator of snort-users (trying to prevent misuse of the list for commercial purposes). I suggest some kind of impartial person or advisory board might be the best solution to avoiding any such perception.

The snort-users list is for discussing the use of snort. It is not intended
to be used as a marketing platform nor to push personal or corporate
agendas.

Agreed.  It's reassuring to hear you say that.

Perhaps Sourcefire and Silicon Defense should try to agree on a code of ethics that we would both adhere to to ensure that neither company was abusing the list etc for its own commercial advantage? Other companies in the Snort space that chose to do so could be involved also.

If you have something to add to help users that's valid and useful we're all
happy to have your input,

Thanks - I'm glad to hear you say that too. We will do our best on that score.

Stuart.

President, Silicon Defense.