Snort mailing list archives

Re: DNS portscan alerts

From: Dushyanth Harinath <dushy () symonds net>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 22:55:28 +0530

Hi,

* Leigh David Heyman <leigh () ai mit edu> [020318 16:50]:

I'm not all that familiar with djbdns, but looking at this closer, I guess
dnscache increments the UDP source port for recursive lookups to a single
nameserver, where BIND uses a consistent udp source port?  Is this a feature--
I dont' know.

This is what i was thinking too, I will check the djbdns docs/source
to confirm that.

var HOME_NET_NODNS [$HOME_NET,!your.dns.ip/32]
then

preprocessor portscan: $HOME_NET_NODNS 4 3 portscan.log

This i have already done, i have put my DNS servers into
portscan-ignorehosts and they dont cause any alerts.

err... I think you misunderstood me here.  IIRC portscan-ignorehosts is the
list of hosts/networks to ignore portscans FROM, whereas the network you
define as a parameter to the portscan preprocessor directive is the network
you want to watch for portscans TO.  I was suggesting that if you have a
single host, xxx.xxx.xxx which is triggering these portscan alerts, that you
define a network variable without this host to pass to the portscan
directive... then, maybe, the dns "portscans" to the host won't be noticed at
all by the portscan preprocessor (rather than "noticed" but ignored).

Oh, Sorry , my mistake , but the alerts are from many nameservers, not
from a particular one and listing them all is not possible.

Thanks
cheers
dushyanth
--
How about some patent       |  Dushyanth Harinath
on "(a+b)2 == a2+2ab+b2"    |  Archean Infotech