Snort mailing list archives

Re: Newbie needs help!!

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:32:09 -0500

Personally I set up snortsnarf to run as a cron job at daily intervals right before I rotate my snort logfiles. My setup isn't exactly "clean" in that I've got snortsnarf.pl installed into my snort log directory, but it is sufficient for my needs. This causes the snortsnarf output to be in a snfout.alert subdirectory under my snortlogs.

To add some level of security to this "not very clean" setup I've got snort running in a chroot home directory, and I'm using thttpd as my webserver and it is chdired/chrooted into the snortsnarf output directory directory. You could also install snortsnarf someplace completely different, specify full paths to your snort alert files, and use snortsnarf's -d option to set where the output goes (it would be a much cleaner thing to do and much safer if the idea of chrooting daemons confuses you).

I run the following bash script as a cron job:

cd /home/snort/var/log/snort/
nice ./snortsnarf.pl alert alert.1 portscan.log portscan.log.1

and my thttpd startup looks like this:
/usr/local/sbin/thttpd -d /home/snort/var/log/snort/snfout.alert -r

I really should also be using the -rulesfile -rulesdir options to snortsnarf, my setup works well enough for the moment, but it is on my "todo" list.