Snort mailing list archives

Re: Flags in snort rules

From: Brian <bmc () snort org>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 20:16:54 -0500

According to Bill McCarty:
I'm trying to code a Snort rule that will match packets having the SYN flag
set but the ACK flag not set. It seemed to me that "flags:S;" would do
this. But, looking at packet traces seems to indicate that such a rule
matches packets with the SYN flag set, irrespective of the state of the ACK
flag.

Have I coded the rule incorrectly, read the packet traces incorrectly, or
both?

using "flags:S;" looks for packets with JUST the SYN flag.
"flags:S+"; looks for packets with the SYN flag and may include any
other flag.

-brian

--
There is no spoon.