Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort183 -A unsock -- part deux

From: "Dr. Richard W. Tibbs" <ccamp () oakcitysolutions com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 12:57:30 -0500

Yes, winsock.h solves the problem in my ssocket prog.. Thanks.
I had recieved some incorrect info on unixsock working under windows in a previous thread.

In trying to compile snort itself, I am still seeing some problems.Just opening the .dsw file and hitting build gets about 65 errors.
Is it possible that the win32 project file under the SNORT_1_8 tag and the
win32 project file in the snort 1.8.3 tar file are different?

Michael Davis wrote:

First, my original port of snort (1.7) never worked with -A unsock.
When did this functionality start working on snort-win32?

Dr. Richard W. Tibbs <ccamp () oakcitysolutions com> spoke:

On this issue, I am now inclined to see how a complete snort
source  distrib compiles on Win2k.

It seems odd you are having problems compiling the source when many
others do. Excuse my ignorance if anything has changed in the way you
build the win32 port as I have not personally used the new 1.8.3
win32 port but the way I had things originally was you just had to
open the project file with Visual Studio and Hit build. You should
not have to do anything else.

The bottom line is that I can get snprintf to compile cleanly
with no  errors or warnings *ONLY* by defining __STDC__, at the
expense of all  other modules failing due to includes of snort.h.
Is snort not a "standard" C program under win32?

It is a standard Console application.

Again, you don't need this file as far as I recall.

#define snprintf _snprintf

is there any docs for win32 on how va_start or VA_START is supposed
to be used? looks like related macros are not include here.

It is the same as on *nix platforms as I recall.

c:\cpp_project\oak_snortprj\snprintf.c(112) : error C2065:
'u_char' :  undeclared identifier

typedef unsigned char u_char

No, #include <winsock.h>

Winsock contains this type definition all ready.

If I include
#include <winsock.h> at the very top of snprintf.h, I get a clean
compile with no errors or warnings!!

well, u_char is easy to solove.. either with

You should include winsock.h.

Michael Davis
Chief Technical Officer
Data Nerds, LLC.