Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort dies after a few days.

From: Shane Williams <shanew () shanew net>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:11:16 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Bill McCarty wrote:

My Snort dies when a binary log file reaches a bit over 2 GB. I thought RHL
7.2 and the 2.4 kernel allowed files to exceed this limit, but apparently
not. I'll check further when I get the version of Snort that I just
compiled to properly generate alerts <grin>.

This is a "bug" in the libpcap RPM that comes with RH 7.2.  I reported
this issue to RH last week as I was having the same problem with
tcpdump.

I recompiled libpcap from source using the following defines in the
Makefile and everything works fine:
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE

For more info on large file support, see
http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html

--
http://pgp.mit.edu/                |