Snort mailing list archives

Re: No alerts

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 18:47:36 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Bill McCarty wrote:

[...snip...]

But, my configuration seems to be sanctioned. From the users manual:

IMHO, Sanctioned == Suggested.  This type of config _ISN'T_ suggested for
large amounts of data.

The output plugins do work in this fashion.  They will get the data to the
right places, _but_ at a cost.  <see below>

[...snip...]

So, am I one of a few rare birds actually stacking multiple output plugins?
My guess is not, but it's merely a guess. I do see that the Honeynet folks
use, or used, a similar configuration. In fact, I think I based mine on
theirs. See <http://project.honeynet.org/papers/honeynet/snort.conf>.

Consider this about alert_full and alert_fast:  alert_fast is a part of
alert_full--(I guess sub_set might be used here....).  Since you are writing
the same data (75%) twice, why not drop alert fast and speed up your disk
writes and I/O waits?

The developers tend to deal with _large_ pipes DS3+ and want things to be as
fnorkin' fast as can be.  :)  On a slow net, honeynet or DSL homenet, things
are different.

You might also want to note that when the original config (for honey{net,pot})
that barnyard wasn't a reality.  Now that it is, you can send to BY and have
it populate the DB for 'very near' realtime updates.

In any case, my question stands: Is there a convenient way to obtain near
real-time alert reporting when logging only to a binary file?

IMHO?  I'd say using BarnYard to send data to ACID or DeMarc or <homebrew
solution>.

Otherwise, there's a strong reason for WANTING to stack multiple output
plugins.  Though it's certainly possible that doing so may increase the
frequency or serverity of snort problems, despite evidence that doing so
should work okay. I dunno.

Yes, you can and might even want to stack outputs.  But, in my mind you are
better off defining a custom rule type for all that type of output.  I'm
thinking about 'high speed' snorting here--But only the traffic that is
'really 3l33t' should be logged to all the types.  Otherwise, just stuff it
into the DB for analysis.  But then again, I don't play a Incident Handler,
even on TV.  ;-)

Good luck!

-----
Erek Adams