Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort with IPTables

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 16:51:57 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Matt Kettler wrote:

There's been a bit of tossing around about this on this list and I have
some related experience. I admit I've never done this with Linux 2.4 and
IPTables, so I can't be certain that this will work, but I do have some
direct experience with running snort on a Linux 2.2 box with ipchains and
an OpenBSD box with ipf.

[...excellent writeup snipped...]

I believe the snort FAQ section you are talking about is the case where
snort is running on a separate machine that is inside a
ipchains/iptables/ipf/cisco/whatever firewalled network. It would also
apply if the sensor was watching the inside interface of the machine (since
packets from the outside would need to pass through the outside interface's
filters before being forwarded to the inside interface.).

Yes.  4.3 does refer to a snort sensor "behind" a firewall.  Please see more
info below....

The inbound filters of the interface snort is monitoring should not matter,
but I only have evidence to claim that this is true for Linux 2.2/ipchains
and OpenBSD/ipf. I do strongly suspect that it is true for other systems as
well, including Linux 2.4/iptables.

At this point I don't have enough free boxes in the test lab to actually
"test" this, so like you, I can't say.