Snort mailing list archives

Re: yet another unix socket question...

From: Fyodor <fygrave () tigerteam net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 20:09:08 +0700

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 01:38:43PM -0500, Dr. Richard W. Tibbs wrote:
Dear list :

After searching the archives (and finding a few postings; thanks to
Fyodor) I am still not able to figure out my problem.  I am trying to
write a reciever socket program to use with snort using the output alert
to unixsock facility.

The attached code snipet fails upon the bind command, with errno 98.
I have debugged the code in kdb and the myname struct looks fine, as
does the sock variable.

Any idea what is wrong ?

Thanks in advance....

  sock = socket(AF_UNIX, SOCK_DGRAM, 0);
  if (sock < 0) {
    printf("socket failure %d\n", errno);
    exit(1);
  }

  myname.sa_family = AF_UNIX;
  strcpy(myname.sa_data, "/tmp/somefile");

how myname is declared? definetely not as sockaddr_un, I'd suppose. With
sockaddr_un you'd do:
  strcpy(snortaddr.sun_path, UNSOCK_FILE);

(and UNSOCK_FILE would be where snort will be sending alerts):

#ifndef WIN32
    #define DEFAULT_LOG_DIR            "/var/log/snort"
    #define DEFAULT_DAEMON_ALERT_FILE  "alert"
    #define UNSOCK_FILE                "/dev/snort_alert"
#else
    #define DEFAULT_LOG_DIR            "log"
    #define DEFAULT_DAEMON_ALERT_FILE  "log/alert.ids"
    #define UNSOCK_FILE                "snort_alert"
#endif  /* WIN32 */

check out:
http://www.ultraviolet.org/mail-archives/snort-users.2001/0666.html