Snort mailing list archives

RE: Rules Problem

From: "Michael Steele" <michaels () silicondefense com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:31:47 -0800

Andrew,

Why would you think Linux is any better then Windows for running Snort?
This list may be a majority of *nix users but there are a few windows
users that troll this list, so don't be ashamed ;) I could go on more :)
but back to your question....

By default all your rules, snort.conf, classification.config, and Snort
must reside in the same folder and you MUST run Snort from that folder.
If you want to run Snort from any other place you MUST provide a
complete path in the Snort.conf for the location of your Rules files,
and your classification.config.

IE: include c:\snort\rules\porn.rules
IE: include c:\snort\rules\classification.config

This works only if you have the Rules and Classification.config located
in that folder.

-Michael Steele - michaels () silicondefense com