Snort mailing list archives

Re: Automating Snort on W2k using WinAt

From: "Chris Reid" <Chris.Reid () CodeCraftConsultants com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 15:56:11 -0600

If you have access to Visual Studio, you may want to download and compile
the snort 1.9 source code (http://www.snort.org/devel.html).  I've added
support for running snort as a Windows service.  Now at scheduled times (ie
using WinAt) you can run commands like "net stop snortsvc" or "net start
snortsvc".

Install the service by running the command:

    snort /SERVICE /INSTALL any_of_your_regular_parameters

Then you can issue the "net" commands (describe above), or alternately you
can use the Services control panel.

Chris Reid