Snort mailing list archives

Re: Price for "vanilla Snort" (no bells and whistles)

From: "dr.kaos" <dr.kaos () kaos to>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 22:31:01 -0400

On Monday 06 May 2002 05:30 am, Glenn Larsson wrote:

The Snort license speaks of snort as free (as in sourcecode) and not
price; i'm wondering - is sourcefire the only current provider of a
commercial snort?

Not exactly. Sourcefire is the only organization with a true 'commercial
snort' in the sense that they've changed the code (and the license) to
improve functionality and performance (if I understand right). To my
knowledge, this is the only closed-source derivation of Snort to date.
There are a few others, though, that make 'snort appliances' (hardware
boxes with pre-configured snort, sometimes with custom management
interfaces). Check out the CrunchBox at http://www.shopip.com and
Silicon Defense's products at http://www.silicondefense.com

Also, above you associate 'free' with 'sourcecode'. You should note that
Snort is available via www.snort.org in precompiled binary format for
most linux platforms, as well as a few other various and sundry.

What if i do not need the Management console or hardware or any
support that sourcefire provide, i just the packet driver and the IDS
engine.

Is there a "for commercial purposes" version of snort (without the
above stuff) that i could buy or...?!?!?

For what reason are you not interested in the existing open source
version of Snort? If you just need the packet driver and the IDS
engine, libpcap and Snort via www.snort.org should do all you need.

Anyone have an answer?

Yep. Hope they were helpful.

best regards,