Snort mailing list archives

Re: DOS MSDTC attempt false positive

From: Bill McCarty <bmccarty () apu edu>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 23:22:13 -0700

Hi Kenny,

As I recall, there was a report on snort-devel or snort-sigs indicating that the dsize=0 in the relevant rule is ignored by Snort. Authentic MSDTC attacks have a zero-byte payload, whereas your port 80 traffic likely does not. You can work around the problem by modifying the rule to specify dsize<1 rather than dsize=0.

I recommend that you check the archives of snort-devel and snort-sig before taking my report as gospel. It's late and I'm tired, or I'd check it out rather than merely report it as I've done. Sorry for any inaccuracy or confusion!

Cheers,