Snort mailing list archives

AW: what would be the appropriate thing to do?

From: "Poppi, Sandro" <Sandro.Poppi () wacker com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 07:10:58 +0200

I'm in the same situation right now. I thought of using the following
szenario:

- let snort use the unified output plugin
- use barnyard to send the data to a central mysql database
- use stunnel to encrypt the barnyard-db connection

With this configuration there shouldn't be a performance issue with snort
because snort only logs locally. What could be a perfomance issue is when
there are a lot of alerts to be sent to the db and the wan line is already
busy, but that's another question.

I will test that hopefully soon in my lab.

Any comments?

BTW, the barnyard homepage is http://sourceforge.net/projects/barnyard

HTH,
Sandro

Ok. Assuming I have setup many sensors on the main ofc and
few more sensors
on another branch.
These sensors logs to mysql db. On the branch site, it does
not log to mysql
located in the main ofc.

I recall a post that someone mentioned about rsync but I
couldnt remember
how it was used.

1. Would it be a good idea to configure branch site to log to
the main site?
I'm seeing performance
degradation here as it will use the wan connection.

2. In just one site, say main ofc, is it a good idea to configure the
sensors to log to a main mysql server?

3. What would be the best design of snort if I will install
if the network
is Enterprise.

Thanks.

Neil