Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort & Prelude

From: Krzysztof Zaraska <kzaraska () student uci agh edu pl>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 15:44:20 +0200

On 31 May 2002 16:32:45 +0200
counter.spy () gmx de wrote:

Hi folks,
on focus-ids () securityfocus com a special mail caught my eye,
regarding the prelude IDS.

Has anybody already implemented a multi-tiered, distributed IDS
infrastructure combining snort and prelude?

I am not aware of any working implementation of such system, however this
is technically possible. Some time ago I was experimenting with combining
Snort and Prelude and achieved some success.

Basically the concept is to write a logging module for Snort which
communicates with Prelude sending it alerts in its format. Once the alert
is injected into Prelude's messaging system it will be processed like
alerts generated natively by Prelude, so no further modifications are
necessary.

Unfortunately due to the lack of free time I was unable to fully implement
all needed features, but the code I currently have can be viewed as a
proof-of-concept. Please mail me privately if you want more information.

Regards,
Krzysztof

--
// Krzysztof Zaraska * kzaraska (at) student.uci.agh.edu.pl
// Prelude IDS: http://www.prelude-ids.org/