Snort mailing list archives

AW: [Snorting 2 NICs]

From: "Poppi, Sandro" <Sandro.Poppi () wacker com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:17:15 +0200

[snip]
From man snort:

       -i interface
              Sniff packets on interface.

       -I     Print out the receiving interface name in alerts.

I am going to let it run like this for a day or so and see
what it does. I
still do not think any alerts will come from the external snort.

One thing I should mention is that being sort of a newbie, I
am trying to
administer most servers /etc from the Webmin GUI. Don't
laugh, it is a good
learning tool. I am comfortable at the command line however.
The Webmin tool
only allows me to set up a single interface. So I use it for
the internal and
fire up the external via the shell. Just out of curiosity, is
it possible to
initialize both interfaces with a single command? For
example, Sandro offered
a snort.multi script, but it was way out of my league.

Well, ok, if you are not interested in using swatch you can delete all the
swatch lines in my snort.multi script.

The only thing you have to do then is to set the variable INTERFACE to hold
all your "snortable" interfaces like in

INTERFACE="eth0 eth1 eth2"

BUT: My script is not yet set up to work with different configs for each
snort instance, although I think this will be changed in a future version.

So you're still on your own if that's what you require ;(

So long,
Sandro