Snort mailing list archives

RE: SMTP Virus Gateway

From: "McCammon, Keith" <Keith.McCammon () eadvancemed com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:22:41 -0400

I've always used McAfee WebShield SMTP with great success.  Then again, I also do a blanket drop of all .exe, .vbs,
.bat, etc.

<OT Rant>
Virii are ever-changing, and are spreading faster and faster.  And as many improvements as we've seen in AV, we're
still seeing large-scale global infections.  Given these conditions, I can think of *very* few excuses for an
administrator to continue allowing the aforementioned attachments (and others, not listed for the sake of brevity).  At
some point folks need to learn that the software won't always save your a**, and that we need to start being
intrusive/proactive.
</OT Rant>

In short, we could spend weeks talking about which AV gateways let which virii pass through the filters, but it's
largely irrelevant.  The problem *can* be fixed.  Getting back on topic: McAfee (properly configured) works great for
me, and always has!

Cheers!

Keith