Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort at boot

From: "McCammon, Keith" <Keith.McCammon () eadvancemed com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 22:30:12 -0400

There are a couple of ways of starting Snort at startup.  Before you try any of them, start Snort from the command line
with all of the same arguments and make sure it works.  If your arguments are all right, and ps shows snort running,
then...

You can start Snort using a cron job.  Just place the command-line arguments in your crontab and use the @reboot
directive.  You could also create a script, place it in you sbin, etc. and call that from the crontab.  Personal
preference...

You should also be able to start from rc.d, etc. by creating a properly formatted startup script.  Haven't tried the rc
method on OpenBSD, but I would assume it's similar to FreeBSD.  Just create snort.sh (call it what you want) and ensure
that file permissions are 755, and it should fire.  The most common problem with both is folks failing to chmod the
script and make it executable.

Cheers

Keith