Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort getting overloaded by http traffic:

From: "Imran William Smith" <iwsmith () mimos my>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:27:52 +0800

And is the buffering done by the kernel / libpcap (as implied
by Keith), or does snort do the buffering?  Does snort have the
ability to buffer packets it is not yet ready to 'process'?  Would
this achieve anything?  I think if you use the HUP signal to snort
to dump statistics and rotate logfiles, it can drop some packets
at this point.

Can anybody clear up quite if / where buffering of packets occurs,
and why 'more memory' is useful to an sensor box?  Of course,
if have MySQL on the same machine, you need memory, but that's
probably a bad idea anyway.

--
Imran William Smith
Security Products Development