Snort mailing list archives

Re: TCP ******S* portscan "SOLVED"

From: Marcel Hauser <marcel_hauser () gmx ch>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 00:38:46 -0100

Quoting Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>:

Hi Matt

sorry that you had to write such a long mail, in order for me to realize that
ftp connection tracking "allowed" those packets!

A stateful policy fixup for active-mode FTP (non passive FTP does initiate
syn connections back to the client machine, so if you were doing
non-passive mode FTP with 195.186.255.2  being a ftp server and your
webserver as a client, you'd see this and the fixup could allow the syn
packets past).

ahhh... here we go... that was it... nice to know... that i spent 3 hours in
tracking down what could caused those portscans, until i read your mail :)

I hope this mail saves someone else the time to track an wrong realized
intrusion which wasn't an intrusion :)

Thanks for all the help an information i've got from you guys.. i learned a
lot (hehe for the next time i get catched by ftp connection tracking :) )

Cheers Marcel