Snort mailing list archives

Re: nmap scans don't appear in portscan.log

From: Jason Yates <jyates () dataservice org>
Date: 01 Apr 2002 15:56:28 -0500

On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 15:24, Salomon, Charlie wrote:
I'm a Snort newbie and need some help.  I configured Snort 1.8.4 on Linux (Slackware 7.1) with the default snort.conf
file except for the HOME_NET variable.  We use a 172.xx.x.0 internal network with a 255.255.252.0 mask.  The HOME_NET
entry is 172.xx.x.0/22.

I ran nmap against the Snort box and the scans were properly detected.  However, when I ran a scan against nother
machines on our network, the scans were not detected.  I am running snort as a daemon with the following parameters:

snort -b -y -A fast -c snort.conf -M wrkstns -D

I ran snort -vde, and I am seeing packets from other machines.
All scans are from an internal machine to other internal machines, and on the same subnet.
All preprocesors pertaining to scans are active as well as the scan.rules.

Unless you have snort hooked up to a monitor port, on switch or
something.  Snort can't see the traffic, therefore it can't report bad
traffic.  You should probably check with your Network Administrator, and
ask him/her to make a monitor port on your switch.  I actually duplicate
all the traffic going to and from my router port on to another port,
which is hooked up to a monitor server.  3com switches call this feature
roving analysis, and I can't remember what cisco calls it.

If you need any help email me.

-Jason