Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort+flexresp

From: Jeff Nathan <jeff () snort org>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 13:40:25 -0800

Onie Camara wrote:

Hi Bamm,

It worked when I modified resp:rst_all.  I placed a space after resp:

But flex-resp, from my testing, only sometimes kill my tcp session.

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 21 (msg:"FTP access from
anonymous"; flags:!R ; resp: rst_all;content:"anonymous";
classtype:not-suspicious; sid:1717; rev:2;)

So when i ftp to somewhere from the commandline, right after pressing Enter
key on the anonymous entry on username,
I get disconnected. I got impressed with that. But I tried it again, it
allowed me to login.

I tried both rst_all and rst_snd, same behavior.

So looks like, flex-resp code is not ready for production.

To address this, I'd have to actually see some packet dumps.  Otherwise
this is just a shot over our collective bows.

If it's a bug, please submit it by referencing BUGS.

-Jeff

--
http://jeff.wwti.com            (pgp key available)
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."