Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snorting the MAC address

From: "Turner Ryan S CONT KPWA" <TurnerRS () kpt nuwc navy mil>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:26:37 -0700

yeah, there is a good reason. Routers don't pass MAC addresses along with
the packet. And hackers are usually more than a few routers away from you.
So logging MAC addresses would only work within your network. I think
Switches don't even pass MAC information, not positive though. So in that
case getting the MAC would only work for computers on the same switch(or
hub) as snort, which is relatively pointless unless your troubleshooting
something.  There might be some way to enable it in Snort, but it would
serve very limited purposes.