Snort mailing list archives

RE: Tuning snort rules.

From: "Williams Jon" <WilliamsJon () JohnDeere com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:18:07 -0500

First, simply changing a rule that has any options, particularly the content
option, from alert to pass is a bad idea if you're using the -o flag on the
command line.  It forces snort to inspect every packet, and the content
option means that essentially every byte of every packet has to be checked,
so this will slow things down dramatically.  Can you tell I've done this?
:-)

Second, there is, unfortunately, no easier way to tune the rules than to sit
down with the rules, a big mochachino, and your local infrastructure expert
and just keep saying "So, do we run Apache? Do we run Speedra? Do we run
iPlanet? Do we run IPX?" and so on.  Tedious, yes, but its the only way I've
found to get rid of all that fluff.  Its part of the reason Marty didn't
want to include rules in the beginning - no one really knows your network
better than you, well, except that hacker, but he's not going to help.

Jon