Snort mailing list archives

RE: Freebsd Snort starts with no errors but goes to bpf in top 0% cpu

From: "Wirth, Jeff" <WirthJe () DNB com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:16:01 -0400

Alan,

<snip>
We're using IBM PC's with 3com nic cards.  We had not had any
problems for
months running 1.8.1 and then 1.8.3.  I have since rebuilt
the boxes with
Redhat 7.2 and one of them is working fine while the other is
exhibiting
similar symptoms to the FreeBSD boxes.  When Snort starts it goes
immediately into a sleep state, I left it running last night,
but the only
alerts I received were for pings (I turned on the icmp-info
rules to see if
it would work at all).  We used to get a 1000 alerts a day
off this box and
multitudes of portscan activity.

I am starting snort with the following: /usr/local/bin/snort -c
/usr/local/snort/snort.conf -i eth1 -D
Which is the same thing I've used successfully on other
machines that work.
Any ideas out there?

<\snip>

Based on what you are saying, I would guess something in the snort code has
change slightly that may be causing the problem (considering 1.8.3 work and
1.8.6 doesn't on the same OS version..assuming that the snort code is the
ONLY thing that changed).  I have recently move to 1.8.6 from 1.8.3 as well,
but also moved to FreeBSD 4.5-Release in the process.

If you are running machines with 4.4-Release installs without source tree
updates, you may what to check the 4.5-Release notes
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.5R/relnotes-i386.html#AEN189.  A few
updates have been made to bpf(4) concerning read timeouts.

- Jeff