Snort mailing list archives

RE: VDQ: Snort basic

From: Beartooth <karhunhammas () Lserv com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 15:50:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Chris Eidem wrote:

I ought to have some sort of defense, but don't know what I can
hope to handle, or even find straight up about. Is Snort such a
thing, or am I out of my league as usual?

quick answer: yes -- right now.

think of yourself as a nation that was attacked at the beginning
of world war two.  biplanes, horse-mounted troops, static
foot-deep concrete walled fortresses.  now, look at the end of
the war; rockets that almost reached the top of the atmosphere,
jets, atom bombs, they came a long way in six years...

        I left something out. I had tried for several years to
teach myself linux out of manuals, and got nowhere -- till I
finally found a Friendly Local Alpha Plus Nerd (FLAPN) between
jobs, who very kindly came to me and got my linux drive up,
running, and connected. He did set up some sort of a firewall,
though I lacked the savvy to follow all the details; so I do have
something-- not supersonic, but at least not quite mammalian
cavalry. But I'll do as you suggest -- am doing it; many thanks!