Snort mailing list archives

Re: Writing custom rule for SSL 401 errors

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:21:40 -0400

With SSL what you suggest should theoretically be impossible, or at least so computational infeasible that it's impossible in reasonable time. It's purposefully designed to prevent exactly what you propose doing :).

If it were possible to identify the contents encrypted data, it wouldn't exactly be encrypted very well, now would it? A simple known plaintext attack, such as this, is considered to be a severe weakness in most cryptosystems, since most protocols have lots of common headers and other known plaintext.

That's why ideally all keys are random, as are initialization vectors and data padding. No two encryptions of the same data should look the same due to the constantly changing keys, etc.