Snort mailing list archives

Re: Replying conventions

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 22:58:16 -0400

There does seem to be a huge difference in culture out there.

I am on several non technical lists where people routinely complain about the replying to the senders and the list. To this I typically reply that it started as list content and should remain. The copying of people directly is a courtsey as they obviously have interest. Usually I find that these are people who are on slow links and would rather not get duplicates of messages. I then explain the reply-to function to them.

It is not perfect but it helps. A thought about this is that the metoo settings could be extended and made smart enough to not send a message to a list member who is already listed as a recipient or sender.

To get off topic a a whole lot.

Maybe the person complaining had a bad day and you were the first to catch the vent, for all we know they kept getting kicked on a dialup with the 2nd message and it just frustrated the hell out of them to top it off. I am not excusing the mail or trying to kick off a flame war but there are lots of likely explnations any of which can be picked apart. Lets remember that we were all once clueless and will continue to have bad days ourself, information without attitude will help us all move along a lot better than flames.

Jason

No copies since it is the topic ;-/

Matt Kettler wrote:

I was mostly curious if anyone with "something useful to say" had any reasons why it shouldn't be done that way.. Given the responses so far, sounds like nobody has any, except perhaps the original mailer, who has not given any useful insight into their complaint so far.