Snort mailing list archives

Re: General suspicious traffic detection

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 13:45:26 -0700 (PDT)

I've thought a little about it.  All I've considered
doing is having two snort processes running, each with
their own snort.conf.  I already have a custom.rules
file, so I would just make another one for the second
process.

--- James Bly <jbly () espiria com> wrote:
Has anyone given any thought to ways to define
through snort, a list of
authorized protocols on a particular interface, so
that any other protocols
appearing on the wire would trigger alerts?
Essentially defining and
"authorized port" policy.

Granted some protocols would require protocol
interpretation to avoid false
positives (like FTP, Streaming Video, etc) but my
consideration is for wires
where all ports can be defined. (i.e. such and such
wire should only see
nntp, ssh, and telnet)

Thoughts are greatly appreciated,
-James