Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort and demarc frontend and Promiscuous mode

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 14:57:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Lavin, John wrote:

Do I need two network cards in order to run snort in Promiscuous mode?

No.

I am running this on a linux box with one nic card right now. So currently
if I do a nmap scan from another linux box right at the box with snort
loaded on it....

 nmap -O (ip address of the box)

It will trigger the alerts.
However If I scan another pc plugged into the same hub it does not report
finding anything.
so I think I need to adjust the mode or install another nic card then setup
the Promiscuous mode.

Nope.  Just read the FAQ.

 Can anyone please let me know how to do this or point me to the correct
documentation. I know how to put in the nic and set it up, I just want to
find out what the interfaces are labeled from snorts point of view and know
what options I need to add to snort when I start it up.

ifconfig -a

Will show you all interfaces.  Snort uses the same names as the OS.

If you are using a 'dual speed hub', then check out the FAQ.

        http://www.snort.org/docs/faq.html#6.21

If you are using a switch, setup SPAN (Cisco's) or use the 'monitor port'.

Hope that helps!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy