Snort mailing list archives

Snort Discussions

From: Jim Forster <jforster () rapidnet com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 13:23:56 -0600

Well, after returning from vacation, I was met with a little surprise I'm sure many of you saw....
Someone did a little code injection on the Snort (Snitz) forums, and changed the 'title' field to 'Hacked bye
AloneDrinkWine' in a rather large font.  :)
I've pulled the site down for updates, and low and behold, I was running a very old version, to which there are 40+
fixes listed. <doh!>
Just to see, I tossed "hacked" and "Snitz" into a google search - Results.. about 1,630.  Checked the first 20 or so,
and they're the exact same exploit.
The update should be done this afternoon, and if anyone has a copy of this Snitz web-injection code, I'd appreciate
seeing it so we can get an exact rule written.
....Teach me to ignore updates.

Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Jim Forster, jforster () rapidnet com on 9/5/2002
Network Administrator
RapidNet, A Golden West Company