Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort performance vs traffic

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 09:03:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Tim Prendergast wrote:

Curious to see what you are running in comparison to my config, because
my snort is running out of memory and dying every day during the busy
hours.

We're pushing like 4 T-1's worth of traffic coming in from the net, not
to mention the traffic from our internal machines across the 100mb
switch I am snorting. It's on a box with a 500mhz PIII and 256mb of
memory. Am I way under-arming this machine for this task?

Tim, it sounds like you're getting bitten by an older bit of code.  IIRC, that
was an issue with an older version but has now been fixed.  If you're not
already, try the 1.8.7 release[0] and see if that helps.

If you're already running it, can you give us some more details on OS and
version, disk systems, etc.?

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy