Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort dropping packets?!?!?!?!?!

From: "Gene Gomez" <gegomez () tycoint com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:13:21 -0700

You should probably at least replace the NICs with name-brand ones.  Cheap
NICs usually result in really poor performance on pretty much ANYTHING.  You
don't usually see the problems on a home network (which is where these cheap
NICs are actually targetted at selling into), but on a network with any kind
of performance requirements you quickly see all kinds of strange things
occur.
At any rate, my backbone here is 4.5M.  My setup is like so:

P2-233Mhz
128MB RAM
2x 3Com 90x NICs
RHLinux7.2
Snort 1.8.7
MySQL 3.23.49

I'm not seeing any problems logging packets.  In fact, I'd say I'm probably
logging too many.  :)

Gene