Snort mailing list archives

RE: Preventing Attacks

From: "Snort" <listsnort () in-tuition co uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 17:36:18 +0100

Although my experience is still back on ipchains, the answer in that
case is that -- when snort and ipchains are on the same box -- snort
sees everything that ipchains sees.

Not what's left over, but *everything*..

I have not heard anything to the contrary about iptables, again, when
snort and iptables *are on the same box*

(I emphasize that because invariably this sort of discussion gets
garbled by people who are running snort on a *different box* than the
ipchains/iptables box. Then snort only sees what ip[chains|tables] has
passed..)

Just to confirm that this is indeed correct.  Regardless of what rules are in iptables, Snort will still see the
traffic.

Matt.