Snort mailing list archives

Re: static compilation

From: funky <azimlinux () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 04:04:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I tried to set the LDFLAGS to "-static" as you said,
but nothing has changed. The snort binary file seems
to be still dynamically linked.

I exactly did as below:
1 - ./configure
2 - I edited the "Makefile" and changed LDFLAGS to
"-static" (also tried yours, in fact they are same:)
3 - make
4 - make install
5 - still dynamically linked :((((

I also tried to set the both CFLAGS & LDFLAGS to
"-static" but no difference :(

Which version of snort are you using? Maybe there's a
bug related with that in 1.8.7

thanx

funky
IStanbul

--- Andreas Krennmair <ak () tcp-ip at> wrote:
funky wrote:
I already tried that but nothing has changed. I've
made the CFLAGS "-static" in "Makefile" but the
size
of the file is still 1053882 bytes . When i
control
with "file snort" , it still says "dynamically
compiled" :((((

Where can be the mistake!??!?!

You cannot "statically compile" a program, you
compile it and then
statically _link_ it. So, first you have to use
LDFLAGS instead of
CFLAGS, and another good trick with autoconf based
source trees is
setting this already during the configure process,
e.g.:

LDFLAGS="-static" ./configure

and then go on just as before, i.e. make && make
install. Before make
install, you can check the binary with ldd and file
whether it is really
statically linked, but it should be anyway (I tried
it out right now).

HTH,
Andreas Krennmair