Snort mailing list archives

stripped-down snort/mysql for newbie

From: joe van <alias () blazemail com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:27:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hello, all.  I got the IDS R&D project at work and I figured that the pig was just as good as any commercial
distribution w/o having to spend 20 large.

I'm trying to get Snort installed/configured on a pair of pc's running RH 7.2 Linux.  Now, I know there is an
installation guide for RH 7.2 in the Snort docs, but I think it might be getting in the way of my basic understanding
of what Snort does.  I just wanna set up the sensor on one machine, the mysql db on the other, and that's it.

I'd love to add in some of the other bells n' whistles ...later.  Now I just wanna see how the basic product works w/o
the Acid, webmin, apache, and so on.

Is there a doc for such a stripped-down install, or can I merely disregard all the references to the other goodies in
the doc?

Thanks,
Joe

Fight the power!  BlazeMail.com