Snort mailing list archives

Re: new install rules question - solaris

From: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb () snort org>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 17:07:03 -0500

Dan Gahlinger wrote:
-D still doesnt do anything, no matter where i put it
unless I put it at the end of the command line, like:
snort -h 192.168.1.0/24 -s blame_cmg net 192.168.1 -D
then I get:
ERROR: OpenPcap() FSM compilation failed:
        parse error
PCAP command: net 192.168.1 -D
Fatal Error, Quitting..

The problem is that you have 2 non-option arguments after the "-s blame_cmg" on your command line. Presuming that you want to use "net 192.168.1" and a bpf filter, then your command line should look like:

snort -h 192.168.1.0/24 -s blame_cmg -D net 192.168.1

The bpf filter specified on the command line *must* be after *all* command line options.

I don't want -d or -v on... I just want alerts and the basic stuff,
no packet captures...

Well, for this, you will want to add a "-c /path/to/config/snort.conf" to your command line to tell Snort to read rules and go into IDS mode.

-A