Snort mailing list archives

Re: Klez Incoming

From: "Jacob Redding" <Jacob () wiredgeek com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:35:56 -0800 (PST)

Shane,
   The rule is found in virus.rules

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $SMTP_SERVERS 25 (msg:"VIRUS Klez Incoming";
flow:to_server,established; dsize:>120; content:"MIME";
content:"VGhpcyBwcm9"; classtype:misc-activity; sid:1800; rev:2;)

   Below is a copy-paste job from acid minus names and word content to
protect the innocent ;) 4th row contains the offending code.

   We use sybari Antigen for exchange. it did not report this particular
message as infected, our virus defs are up to date and it has reported
others.
<snip..snip>
QRQA
<snip>

We average about 30-40 per day with around 1000 accounts.

Just to make sure, which rule are you using?  If you've got a copy of a
email that snort caught and your AV didn't, I'd be interested in seeing
a copy.