Snort mailing list archives

Re: portscan destination port 137

From: Axel Pettinger <api () epost de>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 07:49:50 +0100

Security Admin wrote:

I've seen these regularly over the past couple of weeks. Dshield.org
is reporting its top attacking IP is scanning port 137. And
incidents.org has the following...
http://isc.incidents.org/port_details.html?port=137

We now believe that these port 137 scans are due to the 'Bugbear'
mass mailing virus and the 'Scrup' worm.

No, "Bugbear" is not and cannot be the source as it only enumerates
local network resources to find open shares.

Scrup:
http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99729
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32opaserva.html
http://www.Europe.F-Secure.com/v-descs/opasoft.shtml

"Scrup", now better known as the "Opaserv" worm is probably responsible
for the majority of port 137 scans. Several variants exist. It's an
aggressive spreader which attacks Win9x/ME machines which have open
shares or are vulnerable for the "Share Level Password" vulnerability
(MS00-072).

Regards,
Axel Pettinger