Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort & portscans in a proxied environment

From: "Jacob Redding" <Jacob () wiredgeek com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:26:43 -0800 (PST)

  I have the same situation.. My solution..
disable portscan2 ;)

  If someone has a better solution, I'm all ears too..

-jacob

I'm looking for ideas on how to keep snort's portscan2 preprocessor
from triggering on responses to my proxy server.  Over half of the
portscans I get are things like:

src: some.web.server.outthere dst: my.pos.proxy.server sport: 80 dport:
some_ephemeral_port

It's obvious to me that these requests are responses to requests my
proxy made on behalf of its clients.  Adding my.po.proxy.server to
portscan2-ignorehosts obviously doesn't do much good, since it's not
the source, after all.  The only thing I can think of is a daily purge
of this sort of data from my portscan.log file.

I can't be the only one in the world seeing this... anyone have any
solutions that can help me out?  Anything would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike