Snort mailing list archives

Re: Interface in promiscuous mode

From: "Di Fazio Guido" <g.difazio () guest edisontel it>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:34:42 +0100

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Helder Rocha [mailto:hrocha () da-telecom com]
Inviato: mercoledì 20 novembre 2002 20:57
A: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Oggetto: [Snort-users] Interface in promiscuous mode

Hello,

I've installed the Snort and the SnortCenter but when I start the snort
there are some info in my messages log file about the  promiscuous mode but
when I enter the commam "ifconfig -a" the interface does not apears as
PROMISC.

Is this normal? Do I really need the PROMISC set in eth0 interface?

It is normal it is the same on my system and it works correctly.

Nov 20 18:47:36 xpto kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
Nov 20 18:47:36 xpto kernel: device eth0 left promiscuous mode
Nov 20 18:47:36 xpto kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
Nov 20 18:47:36 xpto snort: Initializing daemon mode
Nov 20 18:47:36 xpto snort: PID path stat checked out ok, PID path set to
/var/run/
Nov 20 18:47:36 xpto snort: Writing PID "13562" to file
"/var/run//snort_eth0.pid"
Nov 20 18:47:36 xpto snort: Snort initialization completed successfully,
Snort running

Enable the "span" function on your switch but start with few ports because is
a hard job for your switch (try to read the Cisco doc )
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800d84c5.html

My snort machine is connected to a Cisco switch with others servers. How can
I catch all packets in the LAN even if the destination is not my snort
machine?

Bye

                Guido

Thanks in advance,
Helder Rocha
hrocha () da-telecom com

Edisontel Spa. - Il messaggio è stato controllato dal sistema AntiVirus [a] <<<