Snort mailing list archives

Possible Memory Overlap/Bug? Help!

From: Kevin Peuhkurinen <kevinp () routergod com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:45:35 -0500

I hope somebody can help me with this as I am nearing my wits end. I'm having a problem with anomalous "P2P GNUTELLA GET" alerts which appear to be caused by some kind of packet overlap or something.

I had been having these problems with Snort 1.8.7, so upgraded to 1.9.0 and am still encountering them. The sensor reporting them is running Mandrake 8.1 with the latest stable release of libpcap.

According to this sensor, the packets in question are originating from my SMTP server, with the destination being other SMTP servers on port 25. When I look at the packet in ACID, sure enough there is what appears to be HTTP GET requests. This was enough to make me curious. What I eventually decided to do was use a different machine to capture all of the traffic on port 25 to try to figure out what was going on.

The thing is, the packets that are being logged by the sensor do not match the packets that are being captured by the other machine.

Here is an example: