Snort mailing list archives

RE: To TAP or HUB?

From: "Henning, David" <henningd () fortrex com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:00:18 -0500

Sam,

Taps are much too expensive to use for casual home stuff.  Taps are most
useful in an environment where you can't span all the ports off a large core
switch.  A hub between the cable modem and fw will work just fine and be
very cheap.  If you properly stealth the nic on the hub no-one will ever
know you have an IDS there (except us of course ;).  Make certain you
configure the nic to not respond to arp and don't give it an IP address.
Unless there is a way to break Snort on the listening interface and
reconfigure the nic to respond to traffic an attacker can't get in through
that interface.

David Henning