Snort mailing list archives

Re: 1.9.0 and "Unknown Datagram decoding problem"

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 14:14:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Jason Haar wrote:

On our network, this alert is triggering every time our SNMP network
management server talks to any host over our VPN. It appears to be matching
on UDP SNMP frags (exp: with VPNs, you tend to see a LOT more fragged
traffic than "normal" networks).

Hrm...  It seems that it's not from SNMP but from an ICMP_DEST_UNREACHABLE or
ICMP_REDIRECT.

If you have it, I'd suggest grabbing a pcap of some of those packets and then
building a debug version of snort.  Enable debugging in the decoder and then
run the pcap thru it to track down what it's really doing.

Any timeframe for either fixing this or being able to disable it?

With the right info, you should be able to write a BPF filter to drop the
packets that are causing it for now.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams