Snort mailing list archives

Re: HTTP_SERVERS variable length

From: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb () snort org>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 17:39:09 -0500

Steven Rudolph wrote:
How long can the var for HTTP_SERVERS be?
Where would I find this in the code?
I need a length of about 2000 characters as I have about 150 HTTP servers that are in my network.

Without looking at the code, I recall that the parser has a limit of 8192 characters per line *after* variable expansion. So, you should still be safe running with a 2000 character variable definition. My suggestion is to try it and if you have any problems (other than possible performance issues already noted), let us (the snort team) know by sending an e-mail to snort-devel () lists sourceforge net and we will look into fixing it.

-A