Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort1.9 TCPdump output file format

From: "Grime, Richard S" <richard.grime () ic ac uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 09:32:52 +0100

Erek,

Thanks for the advice - but using -L still seems to give the epoch format.
I see your point and eventually want to move onto this format, but any other
ideas on getting back the <month><day> format in the mean time?

It must be looking at the -L, because now I get:

WARNING: command line overrides rules file logging plugin!

Thanks,

Richard

Just brought a snort 1.9 box up - the TCPDump file format is now
coming out
as:

snort.log.xxxxxxxxxx

Instead of the (expected) format of:

Is there a way to change this back?

RH7.1 x86 / Snort 1.9.0 (209)

Yes, but you might not want to do that.

With the filesnames in the old format, you could overwrite logfiles within
the same hour.  With it using the Unix epoch date tagged on the back, you
can't.

If you want to change it look at the "-L" option.  From the man page:

    -L binary-log-file
         Set the filename of the binary log file to  binary-log-
         file. If this switch is not used, the default name is a
         timestamp for the time that the file  is  created  plus
         "snort.log".

It's not listed in the -?, but it is there.